[Xorg] CVS as of Keith's commit 04/08/14 20:34:18

Thomas Winischhofer thomas at winischhofer.net
Sun Aug 15 05:08:20 PDT 2004

Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-08-15 at 06:30 +0200, Thomas Winischhofer wrote:
>
>>Thomas Winischhofer wrote:
>>
>>>Well, now Composite + xcompmgr works quite well. No KDE crashes so far.
>>>
>>>Two issues though:
>>>
>>>1) *Without* xcompmgr (but composite enabled), window moving is pretty
>>>slow now. As soon as I start xcompmgr, everything is almost as fast as
>>>normal. Even with shadows, it behaves pretty well.
>>>

> I can second it, great work!!
> xcompmng works pretty good now. However like Thomas said without
> xcompmng running things are a bit slower than usual.
>

>>>2) KDE's pseudo-transparency (for konsole, for example) and
>>>pseudo-menu-shadow is broken - but this is assumingly a KDE issue.
>>
>>3) Window resizing (with xcompmgr) is slow and leaves garbage in window.
>>

> Don't have this though.

See

http://www.winischhofer.net/snapshot0001.png (with composite, but
without xcompmgr) and

http://www.winischhofer.net/snapshot0002.png (composite disabled).

1. KDE's Menu shadows seem to consist of another windows pixmap(s)
2. Konsole background is somewhat "wrapped".

http://www.winischhofer.net/snapshot0003.png (xcompmgr). Looks good,
except for the background issue

http://www.winischhofer.net/snapshot0004.png (xcompmgr -c). Menu shadows
get "double" alpha blending treatment as it seems. I assume that is is
imminent if the shadow is done twice.

http://www.winischhofer.net/snapshot0005.png (xcompmgr -c) - result of
resizing a window. That does not happen all the time; I managed to
resize it without garbage sometimes. In the example, I simply made the
window bigger (and did this pretty fast).

4) With composite, without xcompmgr: KDE's Load feedback type "bounding
icon" is broken, too. The bouncing icon is somewhat distorted. Couldn't
make a screenshot of this though.

5) "xcompmgr -f" doesn't work so well either. Menus come up without
contents, just its shadow.

>>Thomas

Still Thomas.

--