[Xorg] ARGB visuals from Composite extension

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Aug 12 14:52:22 PDT 2004

Around 21 o'clock on Aug 12, Alan Cox wrote:

> Isn't that in truth a property of how you encode alpha values rather
> than a fundamental unarguable happening ?

Yes.  We could (somehow) encode alpha values as translucency rather than
opacity, but the resulting confusion for applications attempting to use
those visuals as intended would probably be spectacular.

I did hack the Xserver to make the RGB->pixel conversion routines mask in
appropriate alpha bits, and fixed Gdk to do the same, so applications
using either of those two mechanisms actually end up working correctly.

And, we could hack the compositing manager to ignore alpha bits for some
windows easily enough.

The real problem here is that Flash assumes that Mozilla selects the ARGB
visual, when in fact it appears to avoid it somehow.  The result is that
Flash crashes all of mozilla, which is pretty harsh.  That's independent
of how that visual is used within the system.

-keith