[Xorg] Re: [Fontconfig] adding/distributing new fonts

Edward G.J. Lee edt1023 at ms17.hinet.net
Mon Aug 9 04:37:36 PDT 2004

Hello Danilo,

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004, Danilo ??egan wrote:
> Hi Edward,
>
> Today at 11:22, Edward G. J. Lee wrote:
>
> >   But I don't think it's easy to add more characters, because
> >   we don't have another free fonts and APL is not GPL compatible.
>
> There're many excellent free fonts.  You can start with URW-CYR (35
> faces), Computer Modern Unicode (CM Unicode, another couple of dozen
> faces, all based on Knuth's magnificient Computer Modern family of
> typefaces ;), Bitstream Vera, ... There're other free fonts for
> non-Latin/Cyrillic based scripts, but I don't know much about them
> (except that they exist :).

  The problem is the license, URW fonts license under GNU GPL
  AFAIK. But APL is not GPL compatible. :(

  Anyway, we have another MBE Arphic font project by Arne Goetje,
  maybe will have more characters.

  Currently it fully supports the following charsets:

  ISO8859-1,2,3,4,7,9,10,13,14,15
  Big5
  GB2312-80
  Modern Bopomofo Extensions for Hakka, Minnan

  Partly support is implemented for:

  HKSCS
  CNS 11643
  GB18030