[Xorg] Re: [Fontconfig] adding/distributing new fonts

Sat Aug 7 12:24:40 PDT 2004

On sam, 2004-08-07 at 16:26 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Gwe, 2004-08-06 at 16:44, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > If everyone could just contribute glyphs to a single font family (the
> > Vera fonts Bitstream liberated for gnome seems a good base) instead of
> > multiplying fonts with partial coverage this would be better for all of
> > us.
>
> Dafydd Harries has been attempting to get exactly this happening with
> the Olwen font (Vera + extras). The name change to keep correctly wrt
> the licensing rules on the name. Currently there are contributions for
> Welsh and I think something like Serbian (I forget which)

An "official" Vera fork endorsed by all free software Vera users would
probably help a lot (much like the ximian oo.o fork). I already knew of
3-4 Vera flavours but not this one, and I do follow some of the related
lists. It's funny how the licencing affects the life of a software
project.

Like it has already been said, freedesktop.org is the ideal place to
host such a project.

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Mailhot