[Xorg] Any chance i810 driver not rely in vbios to get video modes ?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Aug 6 21:24:00 PDT 2004

Around 0 o'clock on Aug 7, "Francisco Figueiredo Jr." wrote:

> I have a laptop which is capable of geting 1400x1050, but my bios
> doesn't present this mode to i810 driver.

I've seen kludges around that make this work; you might poke about a bit
and report back if you find something that does the trick for you.

> Is there any chance i810 driver not rely in bios to program video modes?

Nope.  Turns out it's "hard" because the i810 doesn't actually contain all
of the hardware needed to drive the display -- half of it is in an
external chip, and there are *many* possible chips for that job, none of
which are made by Intel and none of which have opened up their
documentation.

So, we have to rely on the BIOS to set up those external chips.

-keith