[Xorg] Composite and ABI stability

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Aug 6 14:13:54 PDT 2004

Around 13 o'clock on Aug 6, Ian Romanick wrote:

> I ran into a similar problem a few months ago (probably closer to a year
> ago now) with respect to GLX visuals on the client-side and on the
> server-side.

Fortunately, I already have a structure on both server and client sides
representing the visual structure -- the PictureFormat contains everything
needed.  Removing the alpha fields from the visual affects *only* the
ability of the core colormap code to pre-fill pixels with solid alpha
values.  This helped me get Xterm running on the ARGB visual, but had no
effect on Gtk+ or Qt applications (which have their own client-side
TrueColor pixel allocation code).

I could also hard-code the pixel computations so that all bits from RGB to
depth are set to one.  Or, we could kludge the colormap code to call back
into the composite code to figure out what to do.  Anything but add
elements to the Visual structure in the server.

-keith