[Xorg] Composite and ABI stability

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Aug 6 13:27:59 PDT 2004

Around 13 o'clock on Aug 6, Deron Johnson wrote:

> In my work with Composite, I had to leave out the ARGB visual stuff
> entirely. Would it be possible to include the ARGB visual changes
> in a separate ifdef, say, #ifdef ARGB_VISUAL?

There's no need to leave out the new visual creation code in Composite,
all we need to do is not tell the rest of the X server where the alpha
bits lie.  Simply removing alphaMask/offsetAlpha from the visual structure
and deleting the related code in colormap.c should restore sanity (and
compatibility) to this structure.

Bothersome that this structure turns out to be placed in arrays and hence
unextendable.

I will try to figure out how to advertise visuals through the Composite
extension for applications interested in using ARGB visuals; I think
that's a more sensible approach in any case.

-keith