[Xorg] Composite and ABI stability

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Aug 6 13:15:39 PDT 2004

Around 15 o'clock on Aug 6, Kevin E Martin wrote:

> Another solution, if it is not possible to fix the ABI issues, is to
> simply disable compiling Composite by default for the release.

We can also simply remove the visual ABI changes -- they're only used to
kludge AllocColor (et al) to add alpha bits to server-side color
allocations.  Presumably a "knowledgable" client will know what to do with
color allocations already.  As a point of interest -- neither Gtk+ nor Qt
will benefit from the server-side kludge as they always perform color
allocation on the client side for TrueColor visuals, so the code as built
today doesn't actually help all that much.

-keith