[Xorg] XInput Hotplug Additions

Joe Krahn krahn at niehs.nih.gov
Wed Aug 4 09:01:25 PDT 2004

Keith Packard wrote:
> Around 14 o'clock on Aug 3, Joe Krahn wrote:
>

>>Also, I think user drivers are still useful if you have a
>>device not supported by non-Windows OSes. Of course, the newer USB
>>HID based devices should mean mot things are automatically supported.
>

> You have to write a driver in either case.  Just write a kernel-mode
> driver instead of a user-mode one.  I don't know of any significant X.org
> environments that can't add kernel modules any more.

Yes, but I am thinking that one user-mode X.org driver could work for
all systems that X.org runs on, but that kernel-mode drivers will vary
a lot, so several drivers must be written instead of just one.

Of course, the ideal solution would be a cross-platform device driver
ABI. But, what are the odds of that working?

Most of these issues aren't even a problem for most users, who
will only want to use simple pointer/keyboard/joystick devices.
That's why resolving the issues have been ignored for a long time,
and most people don't even try to use X for other devices.

Joe Krahn