[Xorg] XInput Hotplug Additions

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Aug 2 17:28:23 PDT 2004

Around 17 o'clock on Aug 2, Alan Coopersmith wrote:

> So this extension is only usable by the Xorg server and other X servers
> with their own configuration methods will not be able to use it?

It does appear to rely a bit too heavily on the existing input device
configuration mechanism and device handling.

Even on Linux, I'd like to see the various protocol details handled
exclusively by the kernel (this is already true with kernel 2.6) and have
the X server use only "standard" /dev/input devices for input.  This
should eliminate almost all of the options listed in that request, leaving
us with:

	XAddInputDevice (dpy, "/dev/input/event0");

Configuration of the axis->button mapping should use the existing XInput
device manipulation primitives, rather than being hard-coded when the
device is added.  This way all devices can be reconfigured on the fly
without needing to go through a gratuitous unplug/plug cycle.

Detection of appropriate drivers and protocols should be left to the X
server/kernel.  I'm not sure what we should do about naming; if the
hotplug daemon can't even tell what kind of device is attached, it's going
to have a hard time coming up with a reasonable name. On the other hand,
having the X server attempt to construct a name means we'll be stuck with
useless names most of the time.

-keith