[Xorg] tinderbox lite

Eric Anholt eta at lclark.edu
Sun Aug 1 16:56:46 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-01 at 10:53, Carl Karsten wrote:
> Having watched a few tinderboxs  for a few days now, I see that they use
> considerable resources: cpu, disk access and internet bandwidth.
>
> The bandwidth issue is causing me to take down my boxes during business hours.
> The cpu usage prevents me from running on anything but a dedicated box.
> The disk access makes me hesitant to recommend others join in.
>
> So if I could get a version that would
> A) not whack the tree before each run

It might be nice to make Everything whenever possible, though I don't
really like the idea of not starting from a clean tree (build issues
related to files moving in the tree could slip through).  Note that
ccache can help reduce build times significantly.  If someone had it
working with the Everything target and a periodic World like before,
that'd be great though.

> B) Throttle the downloads
> C) wait for a change to be posted before doing a CVS pull.  This one will be a
> bit harder to implement - not sure if it is worth the trouble: checking
> timestamps on 6400 .c files, and then having make do its thing on 30,000 files
> takes a hit even if there isn't anything to do.

I'm not sure how this would work with the tinderbox scripts we have, but
it would be really useful.  Also, using cvsup to fetch the entire
repository is highly recommended if you're running more than one
tinderbox.

Eric Anholt                                eta at lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         anholt at FreeBSD.org