[Xorg] /dev/vc* permission changes

Andrew Bevitt andrew at volutin.net
Tue Apr 27 07:22:12 PDT 2004

Hi,

Im wondering if the process in xinit of chowning /dev/vc0 and vcX, X being the
number of the next terminal to use, is really neccessary. I cannot find
reason for this to actually happen... I put in a patch for the xfree-4.3.99
tree that restored the owners, on Xserver shutdown, but if the server is
killed (and you are not using udev) then the permissions are not restored
still.

So I guess does anyone actually know why the devices are chowned, im thinking
its leftover from older X versions but I honestly am pulling strings from the
air here...

Thanks
Andrew