[Xorg] Egbert moves us back to HEAD

Egbert Eich eich at pdx.freedesktop.org
Sat Apr 24 06:40:00 PDT 2004

Keith Packard writes:

 > Around 2 o'clock on Apr 24, Roland Mainz wrote:
 >
 > > Erm... I did not get any commit emails... how was the merge done ? Dark
 > > magic ? :)
 >
 > Yes indeed.  The fine syncmail script doesn't work when you commit changes
 > through the file system, it only appears to work when you use ssh.

No, that doesn't make much difference. It depends on the size of the message.
Appearantly 'cvs commit' doesn't unlock the files immediately so
'cvs diff' started by syncmail gets caught in the lock. After a while
we had probably hundreds of 'cvs diff' processes started all waiting for
locks to be removed.

 > Egbert kludged around this by temporarily disabling the commit mails.
 >
 > I think this could be fixed by using temporary files instead of pipes in
 > the syncmail script, but that's always fraught with peril of symlink
 > attacks.

If you do it right the risk should be low. Also none of this runs suid root.

Cheers,
	Egbert.