[Xorg] Egbert moves us back to HEAD

Egbert Eich eich at pdx.freedesktop.org
Sat Apr 24 06:03:54 PDT 2004

Keith Packard writes:

 > Egbert has managed to merge CVS so that we're now able to do regular
 > development on the HEAD of the CVS tree.
 >
 > As it was late at night, he asked that I check to make sure things were
 > transferred correctly.
 >
 > I checked out two trees, one HEAD and one XORG-CURRENT
 > Then I compared the trees.  Almost all of the differences were
 > changes in CVS tags (which was expected).  I saw a few other changes, the
 > ChangeLog was expected, but the chanages to ttf2pt1.1 and vmware/vmware.c
 > were a surprise.  I think they're OK, but if someone else knows better,
 > please let us know.

Keith, thank you for checking this. I've done a quick check from home,
too, and everything looks OK.

The ttf2pt1.1 difference is not really a surprise either. The author
of the file has added the CVS Log feature so that CVS automatically
adds the logfile entry of the commit.

Since this is an external package in extras/ there is not much we can
do it unless we want to temove the $Log$ CVS Id to prevent this from
happening.

I have been thinking if we should add the CVS Id stuff to constant
strings in C files and headers so that when somebody reports a problem
it is easy to find you wich versions of the soures he is using.
We definitely should have a version for every binary (and library!)
we ship which can be queried with an option or by simpy executing
the lib. The latter may not be possible for all bin formats but
ELF on Linux allows this. glibc has this feature.

Before I forget:

I have turned off syncmail - the script that produces diffs for commits.
It has caused great problems during the merge yesterday as it almost
brought the machine to a halt.
I've noticed that ldap went down (I don't know if this happened because
of syncmail) preventing people from logging in and causing emails to
get bounced.
I have released an improved version of my diff_extract.sh script
which can be used to obtain diffs from the commit messages to
the xorg commit list. It should now be able to deal with added or removed
files.
You can find it in ~eich/scripts of freedesktop.org.

Cheers,
	Egbert.