[Xorg] RELEASE-1 merged into CURRENT

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Apr 15 10:44:54 PDT 2004

Around 19 o'clock on Apr 15, Egbert Eich wrote:

> 1. It complains about unbalanced parentheses in some C files because they
>    are written uncleanly and have #if statements across group boundaries
>    :-((

I suspect we can live with that...

> 2. It modifies every ChangeLog file it finds in the tree. That's probably
>    not what we want. Especially not for those in extras/
>    As it will only thouch these if anything in the tree below the directory
>    they are in happens this won't occur very often.

Ack!  That should be fixed.

> 3. I cases like this merge the list of files that were changed is rather
>    long and not suitable.

Yeah, we should encourage people to elide the file list when appropriate.

> 4. I would propose that every branch starts a new ChangeLog which then
>    gets merged when the branch gets merged.

I guess I don't understand why this is useful; the ChangeLog merging is
then entirely manual instead of automated by CVS, and people have to
"know" to do the merge and delete the old ChangeLog-branch file when they merge
back to HEAD.  The more manual steps required to merge, the more likely
one or more will be missed...

>    I don't know if we should keep the dates in chronological order or
>    if it is better to mark by indentation the entries that refer to a
>    merged branch. That's what I currently did.

Hmm.  I like how this provides a visual representation of how 'HEAD' was
affected, but this does kinda require that the changes to branches be kept
separate until merged back to HEAD, which I don't like.

We could hack prepare-ChangeLog.pl to add the branch tag to the log
message, and could even create a script that helped prepare a ChangeLog
entry for the merge process.  That would leave your nice hierarchical
ChangeLog format and not require separate ChangeLog files for each branch.

-keith