[Xorg] [seth at viewtouch.com: Requesting a CVS account to make patches to X.org's Xserver]

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Fri Apr 9 18:22:15 PDT 2004

FYI.

----- Forwarded message from Seth Cohn <seth at viewtouch.com> -----

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 12:23:02 -0700
From: Seth Cohn <seth at viewtouch.com>
To: sitewranglers at freedesktop.org
Cc: bruce at viewtouch.com, Gene Mosher <gene at viewtouch.com>
Subject: Requesting a CVS account to make patches to X.org's Xserver

We'd like to get a CVS account to submit patches to X.

Viewtouch is a X11 based touchscreen Point of Sale application.
(see http://www.viewtouch.com).  As such, we do a lot of development
with touchscreens and Xserver, and see improvements that could be made to
the existing Microtouch and Elographics (and other) drivers.

Our main coders are Bruce King (bruce at viewtouch.com) and myself,
Seth Cohn (seth at viewtouch.com).  Gene Mosher is the owner of Viewtouch.

As a preferred username, viewtouch would be best, and use bash for a shell.
I'm enclosing a DSA key.  Please set our email address/contact as
developer at viewtouch.com.

What we plan on doing (first):

The way the touchscreen code in X is written now is all touches are hard
coded to
mousebutton 1.  That assumption is not always true.  Imagine yourself sitting
in front of a touchscreen, and able to use the mouse as a pointer, and not
only
having the ability to touch the screen as well (which you do now), but the
application
is able to tell the difference between whether you leftclick, or
touch the screen. Right now, you cannot do that, since the touchscreen
always returns
button 1 aka leftclick.

We want touchscreens to be more flexible, even if by default it's button 1,
but could (by an OPTION being set) become button 2, 5, or even 10 or higher.
A touch is a unique event, and is not necessarily the equivalent of a
mouse-click.

We made a preliminary test patch to X 4.3 (nothing in the driver code has
changed much
since 4.0 for touchscreens), and it works wonderfully for us.  Our app can
now tell
that a touch happened as opposed to just a simple mouse click, even on remote
applications.  The patch will likely only be about 5 or 6 lines total, since
it's merely
changing a fixed hardcoded number 1 to a settable Option variable.  We
expect this change
to affect Microtouch and Elographics code, since we can test those
ourselves, and other
touchscreens could use similar patches if desired/needed.

Seth Cohn
seth at viewtouch.com

ssh-dss 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 developer at knothead