What is do-not-use-config.h for ?

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Thu May 25 16:03:18 PDT 2006

On Sunday 21 May 2006 19:20, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> * Alan Coopersmith <Alan.Coopersmith at Sun.COM> wrote:
> > Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> > >I'm wondering, what the autogenerated file do-not-use-config.h
> > >is used for ?
> >
> > For keeping autotools happy and out of the way of real work.
>
> Could you please explain this in some more details ?
> I removed it at my site and didn't have any problems w/ that.

The first configuration file generated by autoconf always contains defines for
all symbols mentioned in the configure script.  Because the server code is
very very rotted, you can't both:

- use the resulting file in all server source code
- end up with a working server

So we generate a dummy, and never include it.  Again, this is a smell, ideally
we wouldn't need to go through that particular contortion, but fixing it is
not simply a matter of changing all the #includes and hoping it works,
because it won't.

- ajax