splitting the server

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Thu May 11 16:15:35 PDT 2006

On Thursday 11 May 2006 17:50, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> * Alan Coopersmith <Alan.Coopersmith at Sun.COM> wrote:
> > We tried to split the hw/xfree86/utils out of the server when we
> > did modularization but it wasn't possible without moving much of
> > the other hw/xfree86/* code into shared libraries and agreeing to
> > an ABI for them.
>
> Libraries don't always have to be .so's - an fixed API is not
> always necessary.

Kindly stay far the hell away from my OS kthnxbye.

> I'm now at the point where I start to split it. Evrythings what's
> already an own library comes into its own package.
> I've already lost too much time with trying to get the server built.

Patches gratefully accepted.

All I've seen from you so far is an inability to solve problems that no one
else seems to be having.  I have not seen any indication that you understand
how the X server actually functions, what the correct layers of abstraction
are, or that you have any ability to refactor progressively until pieces
_are_ separable.  Which is the only sensible thing to do at this point; the
internal interfaces are a big ball of hair after 20 years of neglect, and
need to be teased apart gently.

Therefore, when you suggest splitting things apart, I naturally assume that
you will do it wrong, and I say no.

Feel free to prove me wrong, in the form of patches.

- ajax