Libraries and packaging problem

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Wed Mar 29 14:26:05 PST 2006

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Claudio Matsuoka wrote:

> Mandriva has recently released experimental xorg packages built from the
> modular sources, and we noticed a problem in dependencies: nearly all rpm
> packages were directly depending on packages they shouldn't depend. These
> dependencies were added because pkgconfig cascades linker flags from x11 to
> most libraries that use x11 through Requires.private, e.g.

My pkg-config manpage (0.19) does not document Requires.private, but does
have Libs.private.

> Name: Xpm
> Version: 3.5.4.2
> Requires: x11
> Requires.private: x11
> Cflags: -I${includedir}
> Libs: -L${libdir} -lXpm
>
> In the end, binaries linked against libXpm are also linked directly to libXau
> and libXdmcp. http://distro.conectiva.com.br/~claudio/xorg/xman.png shows an
> example, lots more at http://distro.conectiva.com.br/~claudio/xorg/.

What did you use to generate those?

Anyways, I don't see the same problem in my own package builds. (I am a
pkgsrc developer and maintainer.)

For example, my libXpm only has NEEDED of libX11.so.6. (ldd does show the
-lXau.6).

What does "objdump -p /path/to/bin/xman | grep NEEDED" show for you?

 Jeremy C. Reed

echo ':6DB6=88>?;@69876tA=AC8BB5tA6487><' | tr '4-F' 'wu rofIn.lkigemca'