AW: Package x11 not found in pkg-config search path

Dietmar_Schindler at mra.man.de Dietmar_Schindler at mra.man.de
Thu Jun 22 06:24:38 PDT 2006

Hello,

excuse me for jumping in, but I'm facing a problem with similar symptoms.

Mike A. Harris wrote:
> J. Hart wrote:
> > I am trying to build X11R7.1 using the following procedure :

> ------------------
> >
> > topdir=/home/jhart/linuxfrmsrc
> > cd $topdir
> > rm -fr tarballs modular build.log
> > mkdir tarballs
> > pushd tarballs
> > SVPATH=$PATH
> > PATH=$topdir/modular/bin:$PATH
> > cp -r $topdir/archives/xorg_X11R7.1/* .
> > cp ../archives/build-from-tarballs.sh .
> > chmod +x build-from-tarballs.sh
> > ./build-from-tarballs.sh $topdir/modular 2>&1 | tee
> $topdir/build.log
> > unset PKG_CONFIG_PATH
> > PATH=$SVPATH
> > unset SVPATH
> > popd
> > rm -fr tarballs build.log

> ------------------
> >

> > I get the following error which terminates the build :

> ------------------
> >
> > checking for XEXT... configure: error: Package requirements
> (xproto x11
> > xextproto xau) were not met:
> >
> > Package x11 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
> > Perhaps you should add the directory containing `x11.pc'
> > to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
> > No package 'x11' found
> >
> > Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
> > installed software in a non-standard prefix.
> >
> > Alternatively, you may set the environment variables XEXT_CFLAGS
> > and XEXT_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
> > See the pkg-config man page for more details.

> ------------------
> >

> > Does anyone know what is going wrong here ?
>
> The error indicates that x11.pc can't be found, which means
> that either
> you have libX11 installed into a nonstandard location (a custom build
> that overrides default locations perhaps), or you do not have the
> development packages installed for libX11, etc.
>
> If you're using Fedora Core:
>
> yum install libX11-devel xorg-x11-proto-devel libXau-devel
>
> or similar instructions for dpkg based distros, using apt.  If you're
> not using rpm or dpkg based X installation, then you need to use your
> distribution's installation method to install the X development
> packages, or manually install them from source or whatever is most
> appropriate.

Isn't he just doing that: trying to build from the source tarballs?

I am ... and I notice that in ftp://ftp.x.org/pub/X11R7.1/src/everything/,
from where I downloaded the tar files, the files libX11-X11R7.1-1.0.1.tar.*
are missing. Consequently in the course of the build-from-tarballs.sh script
there is a "WARNING: libX11 does not exist -- skipping" and later a

"
configure: error: Package requirements (x11 xext xextproto dmxproto) were not met:

No package 'x11' found
No package 'xext' found
No package 'xextproto' found
No package 'dmxproto' found
".

I'll download ftp://ftp.x.org/pub/X11R7.1/src/lib/libX11-X11R7.1-1.0.1.tar.gz
and retry.

Regards,
Dietmar Schindler