Mesa Needs these fixes!

Kevin Day msu-kday at student.mcneese.edu
Thu Jan 12 21:45:16 PST 2006

> Daniel Stone wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 09:44:34PM -0600, Kevin Day wrote:
> >
> >>I have had problems with mesa wanting to look for /usr/X11R6 when my
> >>Xorg-Modular build is in /usr/X11R7
>
> > I suggest you use /usr or whatever: you would be the only platform ever
> > to use /usr/X11R7.
>
> Is the xorg standard going to be to put its files directly in /usr?  It
> seems to conflict with the (possibly outdated) Filesystem Hierarchy
> Standard and historical practice.
>
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#THEUSRHIERARCHY

The problem is that Mesa will not build UNLESS /usr/X11R6 exists with the
necessary files.  If Xorg 7 is built there it seems to suggest bad practice.
If Xorg is built in X11R6 or simply /usr, Mesa will not acknowledge where too
look.

The patch allows for where Mesa looks to be changed to anywhere the developer
wishes.  Just edit the configs/default once the patch is made and change
THE_X11_PREFIX to equal /usr . and then  Mesa compiles if your xorg system is
installed to /usr.

I doubt this problem would be noticed by those who are running on a system with
an existing X11R6 as the Mesa will use the makedepend and other files from
there.