Xprint segfault: init function missing

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Mon Jan 9 06:57:35 PST 2006

On Friday 06 January 2006 11:54, Drew Parsons wrote:
> My patch build a stand-alone Xprint server (Xprt).  I can see how to
> build a unified video+print server - it would need XPRINT defined in
> dix-config.h (for dix/main.c), PRINT_ONLY_SERVER undefined and replaced
> by LOADABLEPRINTDDX (see mi/miinitext.c), and the the Xorg binary would
> need code from ./Xprint/ linked in.  I don't know what plans for a
> unified server are, I'm happy with a stand-alone one.  You don't want
> your graphic interface to crash just because your printing subsystem has
> issues!

There's a few other issues blocking the unified server idea:

- namespace collisions between DDXen, ddxInitGlobals and friends
- various bugs in Xprint that have been hacked around for that server but are
rather essential for the xfree86 DDX (smart scheduler interaction, eg)
- non-trivial configuration
- ordering issues of modules (they're loadable in Xorg, but required at init
for Xprint)

The last two are huge, and basically put a full stop to the idea of linking
the Xprint machinery into the server core directly.  Pretty much the only way
I'd consider something like a unified server is if the Xprint bits were
another loadable object, with configuration made a) much more automatic and
b) part of xorg.conf.

All of which is ignoring the rather serious architectural and performance
issues.  I think leaving Xprt standalone is the best course of action for
now.

- ajax