how to understand pkgconfig Requires: fields ?

Drew Parsons dparsons at debian.org
Sun Apr 30 07:45:30 PDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-30 at 16:12 +0200, Matthieu Herrb wrote:
> Daniel Stone wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 30, 2006 at 11:51:34PM +1000, Drew Parsons wrote:
> >> OK.  I'm not familiar with pkgconfig dependencies.  What is being
> >> checked at build exactly? Does that mean Requires: need to be already
> >> installed at build time, while Requires.private: need only be installed
> >> for runtime (unless a static build is desired) ?
> >
> > I believe so, yes.
> >

> It depends on the system and on ld behaviour. Some linkers (the one in
> Darwin comes to my mind) require that all libraries are listed on the
> command line, including inplicit dependencies, even for dynamic linking.
>
> pkg-config's 'Requires.private' is poorly designed and documented.

Hmm ok.  Makes it a bit confusing.

Anyway, more to my point (and getting more off-topic for xorg-modular) I
think that means for Debian packaging purposes I'll need a developer's
*-dev package of a lib module to Depend on all the modules (in *-dev
form) mentioned in the .pc file, both Requires *and* Requires-Private.
Let me know off list if I got that wrong!

Thanks for the feedback,

Drew