Move XkbStdBell to libX11?

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Sat Sep 10 07:26:32 PDT 2005

* Alan Coopersmith <Alan.Coopersmith at Sun.COM> wrote:

<snip>
> XKB provides a mechanism for specifying a "type" of bell when
> sounding the bell, so desktops could play different sound bytes
> for different events, or accessibility helpers could provide
> different alternate feedback mechanisms.
>
> A number of the programs in the tree use a helper function to
> do this - XkbStdBell, currently found in lib/xkbfile/xkbbells.c.
> I believe this is the only thing from libxkbfile any of these
> programs use and it appears including it in libxkbfile was just
> a convenient way to share code when the XKB support was integrated
> with libxkbfile as a private, static-only library, that nothing
> outside the X tree was ever supposed to use.

Well, then what has this to do in libX11 ?!
Who ever uses this ? Where exactly does it sit within the X standards ?

If its only used by some xorg-internal apps, we should move it into
some separate library.

> Now that we're moving to the modular tree, it seems silly to
> introduce dependencies on the libxkbfile module and shared library
> into all these programs for a single function which doesn't even
> fit with the purpose of libxkbfile (reading the XKB data files).

ACK.

<snip>
> Does anyone see a reason that XKBBells.h & xkbbells.c should not
> be moved to libX11 for 6.9 & 7.0?   (They are just wrappers around
> functions in libX11, so everything that calls them already has to
> be linked with libX11.)

Yes. Has this ever been in libX11 ? (or does any official standard
define it in libX11 ?)

If not, than it's unneeded dead freight there and should go somewhere
else. If libxkbfile is not the right place, then perhaps another new lib.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service
  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact at metux.de