Success! Got gtk2 + xorg-modular built in SYSROOT-environment

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Tue Oct 11 16:57:11 PDT 2005

Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> * Mike A. Harris <mharris at mharris.ca> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>Sounds broken to me.  It would seem to be easier to use an existing
>>buildsystem mechanism with chroot that works and works well, than
>>to patch the build process of hundreds or thousands of software
>>packages to work with some new system no?
>

> ... requiring you're on the same platform / architecture ...

Depends on what the target architecture/platform is, and the
host architecture/platform.  On Linux at least, the "setarch"
program can be used to select between 32 and 64bit architecture
modes on certain platforms such as s390x, ppc64, and others.

For example, our PPC32 distribution is entirely built on PPC64
machines.  Similar for our s390 distribution.

If you were say wanting to build alpha binaries on s390, then
a cross compiler or emulator would have to be added to the mix,
and perhaps some rough edges ironed out.  I am aware of people
using the hercules s390 emulator on x86/x86_64 hosts to cross
build to s390 arch though, and similar may be possible for ppc.

There are multiple pre-existing solutions available to solve
problems of this nature, and while they may not be suitable for
a specific problem case, I'd recommend exploring pre-existing
solutions before I'd recommend writing a new solution from the
ground up that requires hundreds of OSS projects to change their
buildsystems to accomodate the new system, as using what's
already out there is surely likely to be a less painful and less
time consuming experience.

Nonetheless, best wishes to your project's success.

Take care,
TTYL