[libXext] configure should check whether `X11/Xauth.h' is present?

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Fri Oct 7 12:49:54 PDT 2005

Dawid Gajownik wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've been playing with libXext and I've noticed that it does not build
> if libXau's header files are not installed. Here's the output from
> `make' command:
>
> [snip]
>
>  gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -g -O2 -MT XSecurity.lo -MD -MP -MF
> .deps/XSecurity.Tpo -c XSecurity.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/XSecurity.o
> In file included from /usr/include/X11/extensions/securstr.h:32,
>                  from XSecurity.c:36:
> /usr/include/X11/extensions/security.h:33:23: error: X11/Xauth.h: No
> such file or directory
> In file included from /usr/include/X11/extensions/securstr.h:32,
>                  from XSecurity.c:36:
> /usr/include/X11/extensions/security.h:74: error: syntax error before
> '*' token
> /usr/include/X11/extensions/security.h:76: error: syntax error before
> '*' token
> /usr/include/X11/extensions/security.h:88: error: syntax error before
> '*' token
> /usr/include/X11/extensions/security.h:90: error: syntax error before
> 'Xauth'
> XSecurity.c:187: error: syntax error before '*' token
> XSecurity.c: In function 'XSecurityAllocXauth':
> XSecurity.c:190: error: 'Xauth' undeclared (first use in this function)
>
> [snip]
>
> Maybe configure script should check whether Xauth.h file is present in
> the system?

The better way to check wether libXau is present is to use pkg-config.
However, the problem here is that the XExt proto module includes a
header file from libXau.  It's only using the Xauth struct from the
Xauth.h header though, so maybe that part of the header file could be
moved to the X11 proto module to avoid a proto module depending on a
library.  Alternatively, we could just add a

	Requires: xau

to the xextproto.pc file.

Kristian