new buildsystem -> first steps

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Tue Oct 4 15:43:30 PDT 2005

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 12:22:54AM +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> 1. Consistent and reliable buils. Simplicity reduces the amount
>    possible points of erros.
> 2. A base platform for automated optimizations (ie. choosing what
>    to link statically, when to strip, etc) and QA methods, which
>    are especially interesting for embedded systems.

Could you please give a clear, consistent description of specific
problems people are having, preferably without using the word
'sysroot'?

Personally, I always thought automake and autoconf let you choose
linkage, flags, and testing on the command line for the former two, and
in the Makefile.am (assuming people actually do write tests) for the
latter.  But maybe that's just me.