Forcing the use of automake 1.7

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Wed May 18 17:53:12 PDT 2005

Since we're requiring automake 1.7, I'd like to force it to run.  The autotool
wrapper scripts from Mandrake (which Gentoo also uses) end up using 1.5 with
no further instruction, which is broken.

There are a few options for this:

- "export WANT_AUTOMAKE=1.7".  This is specific to the mandrake wrapper but
  has the advantage of actually working.
- "export AUTOMAKE=automake-1.7".  This seems to be the preferred way of
  forcing a version according to the autotool docs, but doesn't work.  aclocal
  is still run as the system default version, so automake later fails like so:
    configure.ac:3: your implementation of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE comes from an
    configure.ac:3: old Automake version.  You should recreate aclocal.m4
    configure.ac:3: with aclocal and run automake again.
  which is absurd.
- Some configure.ac macro to force the automake version.  The docs say this
  should work if you pass a version number to AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE, but (once
  again) that doesn't actually work, it'll still run 1.5 just to spite me.

I'm happy to just add the WANT_AUTOMAKE to autogen.sh everywhere, but I wonder
if there's a cleaner solution.

- ajax