Modularization mailing list and initial strawman proposal

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 21:49:28 PST 2005

> I'd personally prefer that the Xorg team didn't dedicate time to improving
> the GNU tools ...

Well to balance this, I'd personally prefer we put no more time into Imake..

putting time into autotools might be necessary for some platforms, but
I can't imagine it being any bigger a waste or someones time than
fixing Imake, more people benefit from fixing autotools than Imake,
people who are anti-GPL for everything always fail to realise that
every license has its place in the world, and GPL build systems are
one place where the GPL rocks...

imagine gcc was BSD licensed, now imagine any of the large
corporations contributing it back, not on your life... again just look
at the wasted effort that was/is Xsun, Xhp, Xdec.. these guys have
drivers for all the wierd old graphics cards that no-one uses anymore
except wierd strange people like myself (VAX cards...) do you think
they'd release the sources to those even though they are of no use to
them.. not a hope...

I like the MIT license but it has lead to a lot of wasted effort in
the X case, in the name of "gaining a competetive edge over a
competitior" without that edge ever happening, not that we are going
to change it now ...

Dave.