XKB configuration data and xkeyboard-config

Sergey Udaltsov sergey.udaltsov at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 13:08:02 PDT 2005

Kevin,

> The issue is that 6.9/7.0 has the exact same code, and we need to
> maintain that status for the initial release.  We plan to open up the
> modular tree for new code after the 7.0 release.
That's exactly my concern.

> As a vendor, this solution would allow me to either distribute the
> xkbcomp data files that comes with 7.0 or to substitute the ones that
> Sergey has created.  So, I like this solution since it is both forward
With all fairness, it is not only me - there is a team of people, I am
just their representative. These people did a big work cleaning the
stables of old XKB data - and I think they deserved a chance to make
this work visible in xorg release.
> looking and still maintains consistency between the 6.9/7.0 release.
Exactly. That's why I'd consider it as the "best of possible"

> trivial to do.  So, for vendors that want the new configuration data
> files, they would simply substitute the xkbcomp package that you provide
> as a 100% replacement for the one provided in 7.0.
With all fairness, I would not like to go this way at all. It is not a
problem to copy several code files from one tree to another - but I
have no real intention/capacity to support/maintain it. The whole
point of xkeyboard-config was to keep only data, no C code. So I'd ask
xorg maintainers to provide ability not to install xkb conifiguration
data with a single configure parameter (and if you could only make it
"off" by default...:). I'm sure it is doable.

Regards,

Sergey