Capitals in directory names

Soeren Sandmann sandmann at redhat.com
Wed Jun 15 13:52:02 PDT 2005

Soeren Sandmann wrote:

> I am not sure it is. It would be useful if we could specify trivial
> stuff like
>
>    - Do the modules start with an X, and if yes, is it in upper or
> lower case?
>
>    - Is the first letter after the X capitalized?
>
>    - What is the mapping between the proto module and the library module
>      (eg., PanoramiX/Xinerama brain damage).
>
>    - etc.

Here is a more concrete suggestion:

For all proto components:

    - Decide on a real, no-nonsense name for the extension, based on what
      people actually call it when the talk about it. Eg.,

          - render
          - fixes
          - damage
          - composite
          - xinerama (not panoramix)
          - screensaver (not SS, not Scrnsaver, not ScrnSaver)
          - extensions (not XExt)
          - x11 (for the core protocol, not "core" because various tools
treat
               files called "core" differently)
          - print
          - video
          - xf86-bigfont
          - xf86-dga
          - dmx

          etc.

    - Rename all the .pc files to be called <directoryname>-proto.pc

For all lib components:

    - Do the same thing for the libraries: decide on a name and spell it
correctly:

          - render
          - composite
          - damage
          - x11
          - extensions
          - resource
          - session-manager
          - font
          - print
          - xt
          - transport
          - trap
          - input
          - test
          - xv
          - xprint-util
          - xprint-app-util
          - xpm
          - evie
          - xf86-dga

    - Rename all the .pc files to be called <directoryname>-lib.pc,

Søren