Using DESTDIR during installation

Stefan Dirsch sndirsch at suse.de
Wed Jun 1 15:16:21 PDT 2005

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 07:41:16AM +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:

> > > Which would result in a huge security hole to have rpath set to e.g.
> > > /var/tmp/... Therefore I currently patch the Makefile to use "-rpath
> > > /usr/lib" instead.
> >

> does this mean the library ends up with rpath /usr/lib in it? uggh..

No, as I wrote before this approach didn't work. Therefore it
currently ends up with rpath /foo/bar/usr/lib. Even worse I know. And
this happens only for my test builds as long as I don't split the
build in separate packages, probably one for each subdir in lib/.

> this is bad as it stops someone putting a newer version in /usr/local
> of a library that library depends on etc...
>
> RH used to have SDL linked with -rpath and it took me hours to track
> down why my apps wouldn't use a newer version of the library...

I'm not sure about, but I've heard, that rpath is ignored, when it's
one of the paths in /etc/ld.so.conf.

Stefan

Public Key available