Release versioning

Kevin E Martin kem at freedesktop.org
Thu Jul 28 14:17:07 EST 2005

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 09:04:29PM -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> Kevin E Martin wrote:
> | Packages in official X.Org releases need to be easily identified with
> | the release in which they were included.
>
> Why is this? I think it's the job of the "release platform" as a whole
> to specify which package versions it contains, and not the job of each
> package within that release.

The distribution/vendor can choose exactly what versions they want to
ship in their distro/product.  However, the X.Org Foundation makes
releases as well, and those are the only ones that will use this
versioning scheme.

> | To do this the release version
> | string (e.g., X11R7) will be included in the package name.
>
> If there's an interim release of one of these packages, then no further
> changes, they'll have to rename the same tarball (essentially
> re-releasing it) to add the X11RX to the name for the following X.Org
> release?

The package maintainer won't have any extra work to do.  It's the job of
the X.Org release manager to create the tarballs with the appropriate
release version, and this will be done with a simple script.  If the
distribution/vendor chooses to use an intermediate version instead of
the one in the roll-up release, then that's perfectly fine -- you have
the choice to ship exactly the versions that you choose.