will xc/lib/font be modularised?

Drew Parsons dparsons at debian.org
Tue Jul 26 11:35:22 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 09:14 -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Drew Parsons wrote:
> >  There is no hint of lib/font
> > in the modularised lib hierarchy.  Were you planning to make this part
> > of the monolith tree obselete, or has it simple not been done yet? (No,
> > I'm not going to try to take it on as well as Xprint!)
>
> It's been done for a while, since no X server, Xorg or Xprt, could be built
> without it.   It's just slightly renamed to match the name of the installed
> library: lib/Xfont.

I've gone back and had another look and I think I can see what my
problem is.

The header files I need (ft.h, ftfuncs.h) lie in source at
lib/Xfont/src/FreeType.  But when I install the Xfont lib module,
although the pertinent functions (e.g. FreeTypeLoadFont) appear in the
library ($PREFIX/lib/libXfont.a), the headers themselves are not
installed.  A certain number of font headers are installed into
$PREFIX/include/X11/fonts, but the freetype headers are not among them.

It's not clear that I'm supposed to use a configure option to include
these headers.  Freetype is already built by default, compiled into the
library.  Is this a bug in lib/Xfont, that it's not including header
files from subdirectories?

Drew