.so versions for libraries

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat Jul 16 03:41:12 EST 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 10:16 -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> As promised earlier, an example for the library so revisions.
> I chose libXext mainly because it builds faster than libX11,
> but has different revs on different platforms already.

That patch looks right to me; I assume we need to audit every library to
check SO versions for each supported platform.

For new libraries, I'd like to insist that we use the libtool version
numbering mechanisms which compute platform-specific version numbers
from platform-independent version information. I've done this for all of
the libraries I modularlized.

-keith