where is xgl?

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 23:21:46 EST 2005

On 8/5/05, Marco Cabizza <mc at newglobal.it> wrote:
> Uhm ok, this may be a *dup* question then... what's going to handle
> compositing on top of the xserver? Wasn't it the aim of xgl? It seemed
> promising.
>
> [I am asking here because I couldn't find lots of info's on the
> internet]

xgl* is still in progress so it's not yet ready to be released as a
stable product.  right now you can do composite on any server with the
extension enabled.  it will be slow, but drivers will eventually get
exa acceleration (improved accel module that speeds up render a lot)
which will will help in the interim.  Sis already had support and a
radeon and nv patch will be forthcoming soon.  You'd use an actual
compositing manager like xcompmgr or a window manager with compositing
support to handle the actual compositing.

Alex