symlink script and proto module questions

Kevin E Martin kem at freedesktop.org
Sat Apr 30 07:15:14 PDT 2005

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 10:42:48PM -0400, Kevin E Martin wrote:
> 3. The following files are _only_ used in the server.  Should we move
>    them to the xserver module (when we create it) or should we leave
>    them in the proto module?
>
>      xc/include/XF86keysym.h
>      xc/include/extensions/xtrapddmi.h
>      xc/include/extensions/xtrapproto.h
>      xc/include/extensions/Xagsrv.h
>
>    Proposed answer: Move them to the xserver module, except for
>    XF86keysym.h, which should remain with the other keysym files in the
>    proto module.
>
> 4. The following files are _not_ used in the server.  Should we move
>    them to the lib module (when we create it) or should we leave
>    them in the proto module?
>
>      xc/include/Xthreads.h
>      xc/include/extensions/Xinerama.h
>      xc/include/extensions/XRes.h
>      xc/include/extensions/scrnsaver.h
>      xc/include/extensions/xtrapemacros.h
>      xc/include/extensions/xtraplib.h
>      xc/include/extensions/xtraplibp.h
>      xc/include/extensions/vldXvMC.h
>      xc/include/extensions/Xvlib.h
>      xc/include/extensions/XvMClib.h
>      xc/include/extensions/lbxbuf.h
>      xc/include/extensions/lbxbufstr.h
>      xc/include/extensions/Xdbe.h
>      xc/include/fonts/FS.h
>      xc/include/fonts/FSproto.h
>      xc/include/GL/glu.h
>
>    Proposed answer: Move them to the lib module.

The intention with these two questions is to keep protocol headers in
the proto module and move other headers to the appropriate module.  The
problem is that we've got many protocol headers that include their
library or server header counterparts, and some vice versa.  Note that
the lists above are not exhaustive; rather, they are just the ones that
are currently separable.  While I'd like to fix this problem, I'm not
sure that it's a good idea since the changes could cause some ISV apps
to no longer build without adding more #include's.

Comments, suggestions, ...

Thanks,
Kevin