Development plan -- time to move forward

Kevin E Martin kem at freedesktop.org
Fri Apr 29 09:46:42 PDT 2005

On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 05:26:46PM -0400, Kevin E Martin wrote:
> One other issue has been raised that we have not resolved:
>
> 4. Should we move the clients out of the lib module and back to the app
>    module?
>
>    Proposed answer: Originally, all of the clients from xc/programs
>    (with the exception of Xserver, which was placed in its own module)
>    were added to the app module as top layer components.  We tried to
>    make some minimal groupings with other clients or libraries, but this
>    led to issues, and I believe the situation will get worse as we move
>    forward.  Therefore, I think we should keep the lib module restricted
>    to libraries and keep the app module flat so that there are no other
>    grouping issues.  Vendors who would like to make their own groupings
>    can easily combine various components together into packages.

There seems to be general agreement with this proposed solution.  There
were a few questions raised regarding links, tightly coupled programs
(e.g., xwd and xwud) and deprecated code, which I think we can work out
during the implementation phase.  I suggest that we move forward with
the implementation, and when we hit these, we discuss them here, with
the exception of deprecating code, which is already being discussed on
the xorg-arch list, and I think it's better to keep the discussion
there.  As a default, I would like to propose that we copy the small
files to other components that were previously linked, and that we keep
programs separate if there is any contention.  We can work out details
and discuss alternatives during development.

Thanks,
Kevin