Development plan -- time to move forward

Kevin E Martin kem at freedesktop.org
Mon Apr 25 08:00:20 PDT 2005

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 04:38:23PM +0200, Julien Lafon wrote:
> On 4/23/05, Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 05:21:58AM +0200, Julien Lafon wrote:
> > > ModuleComponentList contains two mistakes 1) xplsprinters and
> > > xprehashprinterlist are client side administration tools and do not
> > > belong to the Xp library, the app component would be the correct
> > > location as you have placed xlsatoms and xlsfonts there too (Roland
> > > may correct me).
> >
> > They are not useful outside the context of Xprint -- they are useless
> > to me if I am not running an Xprint server.
> They *may* be useless if you do not have Xprint clients.
> xlsatoms is in the app component and xlsprinters and
> xprehashprinterlist belong there too unless xlsatoms, xlsclients,
> xlsfonts and so on are put into the X11 library component.

That is not a good argument.  The X11 library is universally used with
the X Window System -- one can make an argument libX11 is the public
interface to the X Window System.  On the other hand, Xprint is not
universally used, and to build xlsprinters and xprehashprinterlist you
must have libXp available.

Also, I would think that you would be happy to have them with libXp,
since this means that someone who wants the libXp component would also
get these tools.  However, if you can make an argument that these are
standalone apps and not just Xprint utilities, then I think we can move
them back.