Devel plan and initial developer's guide put into wiki

Kevin E Martin kem at freedesktop.org
Wed Apr 20 21:34:44 PDT 2005

I've put together what I'd like to become the developer's guide that I
outlined in the modularization devel plan.  The idea is that the
developer's guide is a living document and will continue to grow as new
guidelines are developed.  It describes the basic structure of the
module components, what tools are required, standard options used, how
to build and use the modular tree, how to convert from imake to
autotools, ...  Several sections still need to be filled in, but I
wanted to get it out now to open up discussion.  New sections will be
added as they are needed.

Everyone, please read through it to make sure that you agree with what
is currently included.  Also, if there are additional guidelines that
need to be added, please discuss them here.

Once we agree to what's included in the developer's guide, we answer the
questions about the required tools, and we finalize the module component
list, then we can create the modules and symlink script, and begin to
populate the modular tree with the new autotool files.  These tasks are
described in the devel plan.

I've put both the developer's guide and the devel plan into the wiki.
Note that the devel plan is the same one from my original e-mail, but I
will be updating it shortly with what we decided during the subsequent
discussion.  Here are the links:

  http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ModularDevelopersGuide
  http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ModularizationDevelPlan

I've also updated the main Modularization Working Group page with links
to these pages.

While writing the developer's guide, there were a few questions that
came up, and as usual, I've marked them with [***].  I would appreciate
feedback on these issues, but please feel free to ask questions or make
suggestions on any of the topics.

Thanks,
Kevin