Module component list updated [was Re: Modularization development notes]

Kevin E Martin kem at freedesktop.org
Tue Apr 19 07:38:03 PDT 2005

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 12:12:22PM -0400, Kevin E Martin wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 06:05:35PM -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> > Kevin E Martin wrote:
> > >1. Is the lib module the best place for xc/nls?
> >
> > Another possibility is to generalize fonts into a "data files" section,
> > for fonts, the bitmaps under xc/include/bitmaps, the nls files, the
> > xkb config files, and any other data files like that.
>
> That's an interesting idea.  I believe ajax also suggested something
> similar.  If we did this, are there other data files currently in the
> monolithic tree that should be included here, other than those listed
> above?

I've given this some more thought, and I see several options here:

1. Put data files in the module that they most closely fit.  For
   example, put nls in lib, put fonts in font, put bitmap in lib.
2. Create a data module and put all data files there as suggested above.
3. Create a data module but keep the fonts separate since they are
   usually packaged separately and they have different licenses.

What do we think is the best solution?