Modularization development notes [was Re: RFA sent to the ArchWG]

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Apr 14 16:31:35 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 17:59 -0400, Kevin E Martin wrote:

> So, should we then integrate the code directly into the modular tree
> into both lib and app?  Or, should we just keep it together in lib even
> though cxpm and sxpm are apps?

Our lib/app separation is largely synthetic -- many packages build both
applications and libraries, so we should focus on the primary interface
to a particular package which, in this case, is the library.  cxpm and
sxpm are just ancilary tools for the Xpm package and should be included
with the library in any packaging.

Similarly, fontconfig provides 'fc-cache, fc-match and fc-list' as a
part of its package.

-keith