Modularization development notes [was Re: RFA sent to the ArchWG]

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Mon Apr 11 16:02:47 PDT 2005

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, Kevin E Martin wrote:

> Ideally, we would like to see at least one person and preferably more
> signed up to work on each of these platforms; however, it is more likely
> that we will get fairly good coverage on a subset of them.  I expect
> good coverage on Linux, but we need much more than that.  So, if you are
> interested in working on a platform and have the hardware available,
> please speak up now so that we can get an idea of where we stand. [***]

I can test NetBSD/i386 and maybe builds on NetBSD/hp700.

Also, NetBSD provides X11 with their core OS (currently XFree86) and I can
ask their tech-x11 list for testers later. (I still haven't had the time
to document all the differences between NetBSD's xsrc and XFree86 and
submit as Xorg bug reports for possibly additions.)

Also, I help maintain xorg packages and xlibs (and related) packages for
Pkgsrc; NetBSD is main platform, but we have users/developers using Pkgsrc
on various other operating systems (including DragonFly and IRIX) and
hardware platforms. When we update our Pkgsrc for xlibs (and other modular
Xorg) we can quickly get testers for various platforms.

> project.  I agree with ajax that we should support at least Linux,
> Solaris, one of the BSDs, Darwin and Cygwin initially since we have
> active participation by people working on these platforms.  However, my
> hope is that we will have several others supported as well.

As the BSDs diverge, it would be good to have testers for each of FreeBSD,
NetBSD, OpenBSD and DragonFly.

Also, what is the plan with the various xlibs? Start from scratch? (I hope
not.) Or update what already exists, such as xpm needs to be updated (last
I looked). One thing that is definitely needed for most xlibs, is to have
at least some of the corresponding documentation added to same source
tarball.

Would it be a waste of time to update any xlibs, such as xpm, now?

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/