Modularization proposal updated

Mon Apr 11 15:17:45 PDT 2005

Roland Mainz wrote:
> HP/UX already did go that path, Sun did a similar work with integrating
> Xvfb into the Xsun server (as loadable module and making "Xvfb" just a
> wrapper script which calls "Xsun" with the options to load the "vfb"
> module and dummy keyboard/mouse drivers) and I think it's the general
> way for Xorg, too.

You can thank the GNOME accessibility project for that, since the GNOME
magnifier wanted to use an Xvfb screen as backing store that programs
display to, which the GNOME magnifier would then transform to the real
frame buffer for display, so we needed a single server with mixed physical
and virtual screens.   Composite threatens to make that unnecessary for
Xorg - though Stuart has worked some on getting similar setups using
the dummy driver in Xorg.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com