Modularization development notes [was Re: RFA sent to the ArchWG]

Matthieu Herrb matthieu.herrb at laas.fr
Mon Apr 11 14:46:19 PDT 2005

Kevin E Martin wrote:

> Platform support
> ----------------

> - OpenBSD (AMD64, IA-32)

I should be able to test on other OpenBSD arhitectures: macppc, sparc64,
alpha if the auto-tooling process doesn't break too many things for the
main architectures.

> Autotooling the modules
> -----------------------

> Other comments/suggestions? [***]

I agree with Alan that a document listing the features that will be
tested by autoconf, and how they'll be tested needs to be written and
validated before the converions begins. Clarifying the minimum supported
platform would be good too.

Otherwise I still re-iterate my concerns that the modularized tree
should not depend on GPL licenced tools more than necessary. Please
don't let gnu make or gnu m4 only construct leak in X.Org. OpenBSD (and
NetBSD if I understand correctly) want to be able to build X using only
the base system, which doesn't include the gnu version of these tools.

--
Matthieu Herrb