Some thoughts on the modularization effort

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Sun Apr 3 19:50:10 PDT 2005

On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 04:09:51PM -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> I've not had time to look into it much, but have built software on
> Solaris that uses libtools and it mostly seems to work for the simple
> cases, though *.la files need to be deleted everywhere they show up or
> things get really broken.   Since rm *.la is so easy, I've never taken
> the time to look into what they are supposed to do and what's going wrong.

.la files are libtool linker information scripts; if you're using
libtool, request -lfoo, and libfoo.la is somewhere in your linker's
search path, then libtool uses that.  It contains information on
where the archive is, you can use a script to determine which
information to return (IIRC), and it has a list of its dependencies,
stuff like that.  I've never had much cause to really use the .la files
but, conversely, I've never had breakage caused by them that wasn't
completely my fault.