Some thoughts on the modularization effort

Egbert Eich eich at freedesktop.org
Sun Apr 3 01:29:43 PST 2005

Keith Packard writes:

 > Like Daniel says, autotools is far from the perfect system, but it has the
 > tremendous advantage of being actively supported by a large community who
 > actually work to make the tools useful in general and not just for a
 > specific project.  I've been very happy with the automake packages I've
 > developed.  It has lots of nice features missing from imake, like built-in
 > distribution generation support which even includes running appropriate
 > validation of install/deinstall and even test cases for the built
 > applications.
 >
 > And, I've had good interactions with the autotools developers in getting
 > problems resolved, which is certainly better than fixing imake myself
 > again.

This however doesn't invalidate Kean's comments on libtools - namely
that libtools may have some fundamental design flaws which may make
it impossbile to port to some non-Linux and non-BSD platforms.
If it's the design - not just an implementation flaw - it may
be a lot harder for the autotool maintainers to fix.

Egbert.