Some thoughts on the modularization effort

GOMBAS Gabor gombasg at sztaki.hu
Fri Apr 1 08:03:54 PST 2005

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 07:45:06PM -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:

> I'll throw out some data points here: modern linux systems ship with only two
> versions of autoconf, but as many as five versions of automake.  And by far
> the most common build problems people have with the modular bits we have stem
> from using the wrong version of automake.

You can explicitely state the minimum version of automake that you accept
either in configure.ac (as an argument of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE) or in the
top-level Makefile.am (using AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS). If your system does not
have a new enough automake, downloading it from ftp.gnu.org, building
and installing it under your home directory is still under a minute
altogether (just tested it).

I'd say requiring a recent automake is not a very big requirement and
then you don't have to worry about bugs in the older versions.

Gabor