[Xorg-driver-geode] FreeBSD patch for xf86-video-geode 2.11.12

Mart Raudsepp leio at gentoo.org
Sat Nov 12 18:48:37 PST 2011

On P, 2011-11-13 at 03:45 +0200, Martin-Éric Racine wrote:
> 2011/11/13 Martin-Éric Racine <martin-eric.racine at iki.fi>:
> > Someone contributed this patch, which should allow building
> > xf86-video-geode 2.11.12 on FreeBSD. Could someone with access to
> > Geode hardware on FreeBSD please test this and report whether it
> > works? Thanks!
>
> And, sure enough, the Makefile.am changes went to the wrong file.
> Corrected patch attached.

I don't have any particular idea about the FreeBSD side of things (does
BSD really not have separate 64bit largefile offset handling routines?).
But seeing as all this patch really does, is disable z4l code if host is
bsd, then we could very easily go one step further and provide a
AC_ARG_ENABLE or AC_ARG_WITH (whichever is more appropriate here) option
for everyone, whereas bsd can just hide it completely and always disable
with some simple configure.ac foo. Not many hardware actually has it, so
some people may want to disable it. All it seems to really mean though
is just the .so driver for z4l stuff doesn't get built and embedded
systems can already just choose to not provide it in the production
image.

Of course this also reminds me of the year old question - what does z4l
actually do, why do we need that code and what actual hardware can make
use of it.

Best,
Mart Raudsepp