[Xorg-driver-geode] Effect of kernel config on geode performance

Michael auslands-kv at gmx.de
Sat Mar 26 03:08:03 PDT 2011

Hello

I am using an Alix box with a geode processor to run some videos on a
screen.

While trying to update my debian lenny based system to squeeze I noticed a
significant video performance drop. Investigating what the reason was, I
identified the kernel as the culprit.

Before I used a self baked kernel (2.6.31.4). After upgrade I had the debian
2.6.32-5-686 kernel.

Mplayer CPU usage increases by app. 20-30% for the same video material (e.g.
increasing from 25% to 50%, or from 35% to 60-70%).

Looking at the kernel config, there are of course many differences. Does
anybody know or has a good guess what the main option for this performance
drop may be?

I would like to use a kernel that runs with the same video performance as my
old kernel on my alix box, but can also be used on an atom platform (which
my old kernel cannot).

Thanks for any hints. I have the two kernel configs attached.

Best regards

Michael